I have been talking a lot about Hybrid events lately. Streaming, virtual audiences, interviews with Jeremy Dodd on how he handled the Gnomdex live event stream, pointing to Michael McCurrys blog and Julius Solaris LeWeb event Ustream post but today I figured out how to do it myself with no help at all.
In the past 15 years I can remember several times ordering up a giant satellite truck to the side of the venue and having a whole other team of black shirted techs just to push the event to other venues.
Here is my production secret only for my readers and listeners:
1) Grab your iPhone or borrow a friends iPhone.
2) Download Ustream Live Broadcaster application from the iTunes store. Download Free event streaming Ustream Live Application
3) Raise your iPhone up into the air! Point it directly at the speaker and activate your Ustream Live Broadcaster Application. (If you want to get real fancy get a tripod and a riser)
4) Stream the event to the Ustream website for the world to see. (or the world with an internet connection)
Seriously, Apple just approved the Ustream Live Broadcaster application for iPhone. Your stream goes straight from iPhone to the Ustream Web site. The video can be watched live or embedded in other Web pages for free.
The Ustream.tv Live Broadcasting application works on both 3G and Wi-Fi. It has the Ustream chatroom which helps others that are not at the conference or event to interact. You can also put the videos on Youtube and Facebook.
So here is another technology that has dissipated from my production companies menu of engagement options. Well for an internal meeting you might not want your competitors watching. You would think this would make me depressed but I love watching conferences, and this way I will be able to get that streaming information from the events I could not attend. I really only go to conferences as a attendee to mix it up with my fellow industry friends and get that good face time.
Have you streamed an event? If so how did it go? If not, why not?
- Apple’s Next Media Frontier Will Be Streaming Video (wired.com)
- The iPhone Finally Gets Live Video Streaming With Ustream Live Broadcaster (techcrunch.com)
- UStream and Apple Bring Live Video Streaming to the iPhone (techstartups.com)
- Live Video Streaming Comes the iPhone, Courtesy of Ustream (mashable.com)
- Qik to Live Stream Video from Your iPhone (mashable.com)