What are your favorite meetings and events blogs?
I was surprised that when I asked my network of industry folks that many don’t read blogs at all. So I followed it up with “What blogs do they read?” (Please feel free to add any worthy meetings industry blog in the comment section)
Do you think it is worth the time to do some blogging? I do understand that most websites are just that, blogs. So the line has blurred between a traditional website and a blog. The main reason is that your company or product can be found via organic search and if you can turn those eyeballs into clients it is the real bonus. Just recently we recieved an RFP for meeting production because they found us through a Google search. So blogging can pay. I would love to hear what you think? Blog or not to blog?
So below is some answers from my email. Thank you to everyone who responded!
You might find a gem in someones list, so take a look:
I no longer read events blogs everyday. But when I do read them, my favorites are usually:
My fave blogs in general right now are:
Is a podcast guy (I love podcast people – Mike)
Event blogs I read (but not every day…as they are not updated every day but when they are they are good) are
Michelle Bruno’s – Fork in the Road
Joyce McKee’s – Let’s Talk Trade Shows
Keith Johnston – Planner Wire
Traci is also a podcast person!!!
I’d say my must-reads for meeting blogs are:
For general blogs, I love:
TheBloggess (she cracks me up)
MentalFloss (strange and interesting and funny stuff)
Wired/Slashdot/Gizmodo (have to check all three for gadget stuff)
But I have about 225 more that I also try to check daily…
Events and Meeting Industry Blogs:
• http://jeffhurtblog.com/ – because Jeff constantly thinks differently about things – and eloquently shares his thoughts with us.
• http://forkintheroadblog.com/ – because Michelle touches on interesting aspects of the industry and communicates them quite well.
• http://icon-presentations.com/blog/ – because Jenise covers great topics – and, brings in an all-star cast of guest bloggers to complement her original writing.
Other Blogs I Read:
• http://www.rocketwatcher.com/ – April Dunford provides some of the best product marketing insights in the blogosphere.
• http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/ – I have an interest and curiosity in EdTech (technology for education) and this blog fills that need.
• http://funnelholic.com/ – Great insights and case studies on demand generation and online marketing.
Jeffrey Cufaude’s blog .. I do read it when it comes out.
Here are my Top 3 Event Blogs:
• http://blog.eventchocolate.com/. Tons of great stuff on there.
• I also selfishly nominate FroomzBlog.com 🙂
As for Top 3 General Blogs:
Bizbash has been my home page forever
Hmmm…don’t shoot me, but for business value I really don’t read blogs…I read books.
But, here are some gems I read that a lot don’t:
adcontrarian.com – CEO of an ad agency who calls BS on social and a lot of other things. Very smart, if not frustrating
zenhabits.com – We all need a little tranquility now and then
http://engage.tmgcustommedia.com/ – Engage (TMG Custom Media) – D.C. based content marketing and digital shop’s blog. Just good stuff
I don’t read event blogs often but I read a few others:
http://www.davidstarksketchbook.com/ (I guess david is a blog but feels more designy).
These are three I Love!
Altitude Branding Blog http://altitudebranding.com/ (link does not seem to work??)
Thank you again to everyone who responded and I hope you (the reader) can find something that is helpful or just fun!