Why? Because the model I am going after is a monetized model. I understand that money is not really being made from paid websites. People want things for free. I know I like free stuff.
Here is my model: Basically I have a niche I want to build a site for. Since video production is one of the core parts of our business I want the main topic is a video series. Around this series is a monetized model that I am coming up with.
So it has a few parts so far in the construction.
1) Budget- unlike the usual client driven production the client is me which means its all out of pocket. (scary) So how do I pay the folks that help me? I want to have a main team to work on this on each season to keep consistency. I don’t want a rocketboom situation.
2) Production of website- This is the most daunting aspect. I want to include a paid membership area, affiliate marketing, sponsorship opportunities, merchandise such as shirts – hats-books-and a DVD of each season.
3) Video Production- This is easier because it is more in the line of what we do. I have enlisted the help of a few really great folks to help me.
4) Marketing- I will be marketing this myself in several different ways and this will be the most time consuming. I have several ideas but I am always looking for more.
5) Sales- Selling this new media to an industry who is used to free.
My plan is to post how I am doing this here on the blog so I can help others with the mistakes I make.